The Old Iranian word pairidaeza refers to a walled orchard, garden or enclosed hunting park ~ a calm, sheltered retreat from the outside world. Elaborate water channels, pools and fountains cool the air. Fragrant flowers offer varied and vibrant colour. Elegant trees offer shade and fruit.
If Paradise derives from such an elemental, idyllic place, then that is what I strive to create. Consulting the Genius of the Place to inspire a garden congruent with the environment.
The quality sought to be introduced into any garden or landscape is that of enchantment ~ marrying beauty in art and beauty in nature, creating a diverse, nourishing place for the body, mind, spirit.
My own design aesthetic is based on a perception and practice that has evolved over three decades exploring a range from formal English landscapes, Moorish and Mediterranean gardens, elemental Japanese design and lush Tropical planting.
Over time, the “Paradise” aesthetic has been married to the practical notions of productive landscapes and gardens customised to suit the nature and spirit of modern lifestyle, people and place – form, function, beauty and fruit!
Design and Consulting
- residential gardens
- permaculture design, edible landscapes, herb gardens and medicinal plant gardens
- landscape and property management
- augmentation of property value and saleability
- Contracting and Supervision
- Maintenance in service of the long term vision (the gardener’s fourth dimension is nurturing growth in time!)
As a plantsman, designer and tutor, I am delighted to
- assume control and transform your space / garden / landscape, or
- guide you in your own practical considerations, planting arrangements, soil cultivation, vegetable and herb garden cultivation, connection with and understanding of the landscape environment.
For further details and to discuss rates and plans, please give me a call or drop me a line using contact info at the bottom of the page. Thank you.